Wednesday, March 24, 2010

More on the Icelandic wool

To keep with the theme of last week I wanted to discuss another type of clothing made form the Icelandic wool. The very fine type of wool, called einband or loðband is perfect for making light garments with detail. I first started to knit with einband about two years ago and with some ambition I did not choose the easiest garment for my first one. I saw a icelandic knitting designer wearing a dress I really wanted to make but I could not find the pattern anywhere so I made it up, a few months later of course I found the pattern in a shop close to me, but then I had made this:



The pattern of course is not the same, but very similar and I ended up buying the pattern book and have made a few things out of it even though I haven't tried this dress again, the first time it took about 6 months to knit, but in my defence I was knitting a lot of other things at the same time as well as meeting my boyfriend :)
Speaking of him he had wanted a knitted tie for some time and had hassled other knitters for it before he met me so I decided to make him one for last Xmas using the einband again. The pattern was made by me and I can tell you that you need patience to knit the end of the tie, it seemed to be an endless task...

well enough for now, happy knitting everyone :)

4 comments:

  1. Flott bindi. Hef einmitt verið að mana mig upp í að prjóna eitt svona frá því að Atli var að biðja um það en hef ekki enn nennt því. :)

    Lilja Laufey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frábær hugmynd hjá þér, kemur stórvel út!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ótrúlega flottur kjóll!

    The dress is really beutiful!

    Halldóra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Takk takk, Atli er kominn með sitt bindi núna, ég á nú örugglega eftir að stela því sjálf því það kemur bara svona ansi vel út með skyrtunni minni :)
    Takk Auður og Halldóra :)

    ReplyDelete